Thursday, February 28, 2008

Green Eggs and "Green" Ham

In my food selection the predominate thought is that of health rather then environment. If I choose more organic products it is more due to the fact that i want to be eating a healthy product rather then an environmentally healthy one. Post my consumption and learning of how these products are more "Green" I am glad that I did purchase them and choose to consume them, however, in my decision making process the environment is not my priority. Its difficult changing your consumption pattern. Its a change in mentaility, the core of how we think and act. I eat what will taste good.

After taking the quiz in the beginning of the semester about how many worlds we would need if everyone lived like us (in which we would need 3.5 for everyone to live like me) and my greatest impact was consumption. I don't believe there is an excuse for this lifestyle, yes it is mainstream, there are difficulties of being a college student, lack of knowledge, etc. But as a culprit of not considering my impact I continue to do so anyways. My diet of the last few days has been nothing out of the norm but I can't imagine Chipotle having a postive environmental impact.

Another issue when it comes to choice is what is the better one? If its organic does it make it more 'Green'? These are questions that most don't know the answer too. In our society frozen foods, fast food, easy to cook meals are the target of marketing. You can heat up a full meal in just a matter of minutes that you didn't have to cook! The ease in which families can eat dinner makes life simple and quick. Another issue is not only choice but the volume of consumption. I must admit that I do eat a lot. I weigh about 210 lbs, I'm active, and I'm a college student. I like to eat. The amount of calories is a detriment on the environment because the demand forces more land to be cultivated, faster, depleting the soil and its nutrients.

There are answers. There are better choices that I can make.

No comments: