Thursday, March 20, 2008

I had a very similar experience in Panama City Florida. It was a typical springbreak scene. Lots of students drinking beer. After one morning of drinking, of which I was not a participator, I looked out over the sand and all I saw was can after can after can laying on the beech. Who knows how many were thrown in the ocean. Who knows how many were buried in the sand. Who knows how many were ever thrown out? I then ventured on to Savanagh Georgia for a celebration of our beloved St. Patrick. While there I went to play wiffle ball with a few of my friends in a large Park. As we were leaving I saw more cans littered on the ground. I began to pick them up. As I did so my friend Alex asked why I was picking it up. This allowed for a healthy discussion of the environment. I said to him that it disgusted me to see so much trash over a one week period. It took me just a few seconds to pick up the trash and bring it to a trash can just a few feet away. Why could the people who drank it throw it away? He wasn't opposed to this thinking, however, he helped me out and by doing so started to see how quickly you can change the environment to being overridden with trash to a clean, grassy area.

No comments: