Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I love nature...naturally!

When I used to live in California, I used to go surfing as often as I could. One day, I was just sitting on my board when a single dolphin jumped out of the water right next to me and our eyes met. We lingered for a moment, just staring at each other, until he dipped back into the water. There were no other surfers in the water, the sun was shining on my face, the dolphin and I had a moment, and I felt so connected with the ocean and nature.

I love traveling and one of the most beautiful places I have ever been is Kailua Ranch in Hawaii. There are rolling, lush green hills and fields stretching as far as the eye can see. If you look the other way, there is the bluest ocean and the brightest sunshine. I felt so peaceful and at ease. I just lay there in the grass and absorbed in nature.

These two experiences taught me how precious nature is. When I look back at those experiences, I only think about how happy and in awe I was. I appreciate that I am able to enjoy nature, especially when I am able to leave the concrete jungle I live in now. I think it is important for us to preserve nature. I do think, in a way, that it should be one of the chief concerns of environmentalists. All of life and nature is so interconnected that I don’t think you can focus on one problem without working on others at the same time. We can try and preserve nature and work on keeping clean rivers, thick forests, and a functioning nitrogen cycle.

No comments: